How much does a trip to visit Machu Picchu cost for a family of four:
How much you will spend depends on your choices. I’m showing you a detail of how much it cost a family trip to Machu Picchu for a family of four. We visited as a family of four, but you could also use this information to have an idea of the cost as a couple or solo visit Machu Picchu:
|Adults||Kid||second Adult||second kid|
|Private Van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo (1 to 4 passengers)||$45|
|Staying in Ollantaytambo One queen bed and two twin beds (sleep 4) *||$60|
|PeruRail train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes: Train Expedition **||$120||$60||$120||$60|
|Hospedaje in Aguas Calientes (sleep 4)*||$55|
|Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu**||$47||$24||$47||$24|
|Roundtrip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes up to Machu Picchu site**||$24||$12||$24||$12|
|Private tour guide||$30|
|Private van from Ollantaytambo to Cusco (1 to 4 passengers)||$45|
|Total Cost In Van or private transportation per person||$426||$96||$191||$96|
|total cost per family of 4 with a van or private transportation||$809|
|* prices vary according to hotel amenities and season|
|** pay per person|
On this post I’m breaking down the different options there are and how much are them. You can find the detail on how we got there on my post How to get to Machu Picchu with family and how we did it
Cost of buses to get to Machu Picchu
Bus to Poroy Train Station:
To get to Machu Picchu town (Aguas Calientes) you will need to take a train. The first train station is located on Poroy, about 25 to 30 minutes in a taxi from Cusco center.
- Taxis from Cusco to Poroy cost 35 soles up to 4 people (around $11)
- The private van that is called collective by locals can cost you from 7 soles per person (around $2)
The train from Poroy to Aguas Calientes takes approx. 3 hours and 50 minutes.
Bus to Ollantaytambo Train station:
The other option is to take a bus or taxi from Cusco town to Ollantaytambo train station. Ollantaytambo is located 2 hours in the car from Cusco Center.
- Bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo cost 10 soles (around $4)
- Taxi cost around 100 soles (approx. $31)
The train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes) takes approx. 1 hour and 50 minutes to get there.
TIP: The train operates every day except for the last Sunday of each month.
How much does it cost the Train to Machu Picchu:
There are two companies that run the trains in Machu Picchu, one is INCA TRAIL, a company with new trains; and PERU RAIL the company that has been there for longer time. I recommend to buy your tickets in advance and see what fit your budget better
INCA RAIL TRAIN COST:
Route: Poroy Machu Picchu Poroy (round trip)
- The First Class Machu Picchu train cost around $398 per adult and $150 per kid.
- The 360° Machu Picchu train cost around $130 per adult and $75 per kid.
Route: Ollantaytambo Machu Picchu Ollantaytambo (round trip)
- The First Class Machu Picchu train $398 per adult and around $150 per kids.
- The 360° Machu Picchu cost from $110 to $140 per adult and kids $90 per kid.
- There is an extra car here – The Voyager that cost around $110 to $140 and around $78 to $70 per kid.
The train ticket will depend on the schedule and the service. These are the average prices of this company. More Information details of this train here https://incarail.com
PERU RAIL TRAIN COST:
Route Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo (round trip)
- Train Expedition will cost around $120 per adult and $60 per kid
- Train Vistadome will cost around $110 to $215 per adult and $55 per kid
- Peru Real Sacred Valley will cost around $340 per adult and $170 per kid
Route Poroy (Cusco)– Aguas Calientes – Poroy
- Train Expedition will cost round trip cost around $130 per adult and $65 per kid
- Train Vistadome round trip cost around $215 per adult and $105 per kid
- Train Hiram Bingham (luxury service) / will cost you around $950 per adult and $475 per kid
Tips for this train: No tickets needed for children aged 0-2 years held in parent’s arms. If an independent seat is required for the child, a 50% discount on the purchase of tickets will be applied. Children aged 3-11 years are subject to a 50% discount on the purchase of tickets.
Staying in Aguas Calientes:
After arriving in Machu Picchu Town (Aguas Calientes) you need to look for places to stay. Only you won’t if you arrive on time for one of the turns to enter Citadel. One night in Aguas Calientes with basic service for a family of four can cost around $55 or more.
Once in Machu Picchu to get to the ruins you need to take the bus. The roundtrip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu will cost US $24 A per adult and $12 per kid.
Machu Picchu entrance cost
- It costs 152 soles ($46-$47)
- Students pay 77 soles ($23-$24) but can’t get tickets online they need to get it in person on any office, since there are many cases of falsification.
- School students pay 70 soles ($21-22) up until 12.
- There is a 50% discount to 60 years and older and people with discapacity on the regular ticket (152 soles) approx. $23-$24.
- Remember that you can get the discount on your tickets to Machu Picchu if you have a university id card (pre-degree), or if you belong to the Andean Community of Nations (CAN).
Cost of Huayna Picchu entrance
It costs 48 soles ($15) for adults, kids, and students in general. There is a 50% discount to 60 years and older and people with discapacity on the regular ticket.
View from Huayna Picchu